Wednesday, April 6, 2011

An Egg-Ceptional Dining Venue

Yes, I make bad puns. And I enjoy them.

On my last road trip to Montreal for an English literature conference, when I was pre-baby and regularly martini'd, my road trip companion and fellow foodie Tiffany ate breakfast at this egg-themed restaurant, complete with an egg chandelier greeting us past the heavy iron doors.

I wasn't kidding.


The place is called "Eggspectations" or "Le Cirque des Oeufs" which translates to, "Bad puns exist in Canadian French as well, friends." The service was slow, especially for American standards, but the food was delicious. When I know I'm eating a big breakfast, I tend to order the same thing: corned beef, sunny side up eggs and toast. I figure, if I'm going down, I may as well go down in fatty, fatty flames. For this meal, I opted to go with scrambled eggs and forego the toast. My favorites were served with sliced fried potatoes and some fruit.

No toast and not sunny-side up, but good 'nuff.

My satisfaction is documented in this exaggerated, definitely not candid picture: 

A fun place, but not incredibly spectacular. We made off with the peanut butter packets on the table (How could we not? We've never seen them in the states!) and enjoyed the rest Viéux Montréal had to offer.
This cheese didn't come with the eggs.
I told you about those puns, right? 



2 comments:

  1. Wow at how short my hair was!

    This was one of my favorite places we visited while in the land of the French speaking (north) Americans. Btw, I still have the small jar of Hellmanns. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't plan on using it for any sandwiches! That thing's 4 years old. It was definitely a great trip!

    ReplyDelete