Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Simplest Fried Rice Recipe Ever

I've made this dish a number of times using leftover rice. Make sure the rice (preferably long grain white jasmine) is cold and crumbled (separated with your hands) before adding to the wok. You can also add a number of vegetables or meats after sautéing the garlic and onion.

A variation with carrots, green beans and corn.


Ingredients:
Neutral oil (vegetable or corn) or sesame oil (if you want the flavor)
A few cloves of crushed garlic (however much punch you want)
Diced onion
Scrambled egg, chopped
Day old rice (best if it's been refrigerated overnight, makes it easier to crumble)
Salt and pepper
1/4 tsp. of soy sauce

Sauté garlic and onions in a lightly oiled wok over high heat. Add rice. Season with salt and pepper. Stir consistently for 10 minutes, otherwise the rice will stick to the wok, or worse, burn. Mix in the soy sauce. Mix in the egg. Cook for two more minutes.

Filipinos traditionally have fried rice for breakfast with tocino (seasoned meat), longanisa (sweet sausage) or fried fish. That's a super heavy start to my day, of which I can see myself going into a food coma before 9 a.m., so I usually serve it for lunch with a veggie dish, like miso-braised bokchoy.

7 comments:

  1. annnd I'm so trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here (sub brown jasmine?)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany, I don't know if it will work as well with brown rice. When you try out the recipe, please let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think so but figured I'd ask (since I have it in the house). I'll follow the recipe as is =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! I hope it turns out well for both of you. Please let me know how the recipe works out.

    ReplyDelete